Brief detail of my story

Recently went on the land convoy for Gaza from London last mid-April. Thank you to all that helped me to go on this dream of mine, whether it was financial support or emotional support. And a huge thank you to one of my best friends who agreed to come on this trip with me & I couldn't have done it without him. Even though we sadly were not able to enter Gaza due to Egypt stopping us and wanting us to hand our aid and vehicles to Israel, all the wonderful people I met on the convoy will never stop until the Palestinians are free. We will never forget them. Thesis is in process right now :)

Saturday, May 19, 2012

One can understand how anger can grow

I know I'm jumping a few days right now but I just had to write this. Its now day I think 6 or 7 (that's how sick I've been) that we are in Aqaba. I'm not going to into the details of the delay and all just yet as it will just take the focus off on what I'm feeling right now.

So its been a few days of us having to stare at the Israeli town of Eilat. For me, I didn't know it was Eilat (which is really occupied Palestine) until the 2nd night I was here. I thought all the bright lights that were soothing for me during being so ill suddenly made me sick to my stomach and I just became more upset and angry the longer I stared at it.

So right now I'm on the roof of the hotel we are staying at having some time to myself and all I see in front of me beyond the sea is Eilat, with it high rising tall buildings and planes flying in and out. I literally just want to cry and its not even land I'm from. Can you imagine being a Palestinian that was driven from your home 64 years ago and you're sitting where I'm sitting. How much sadness would you feel? How much anger would you feel? Your home is just beyond the horizon and you can't go near it. You can't go back. If you were a Palestinian how would you feel? What a developed looking town and you're living as a refugee. Now I can understand how anger can grow. Just a few days and I'm now angry. How does 64 years feel like?

I thief who steals something can never feel secure. So I wonder what the residents in Eilat think when they look over into Aqaba. I wonder if their conscience ever says how wrong it is. I wonder.

One thing is for sure, staring at it makes me want to never give up being an activist. No matter what. You know its wrong what's been happening to the Palestinians for far too long. So Israel if you think you're in the right, go on, keep stealing land and building skyscrapers on it. If it makes a simple activist feel more driven to never give up I know the Palestinians will feel it too until justice has been met.

We will never remain silent.

Jem

No comments:

Post a Comment