Brief detail of my story

Recently went on the land convoy for Gaza from London last mid-April. Thank you to all that helped me to go on this dream of mine, whether it was financial support or emotional support. And a huge thank you to one of my best friends who agreed to come on this trip with me & I couldn't have done it without him. Even though we sadly were not able to enter Gaza due to Egypt stopping us and wanting us to hand our aid and vehicles to Israel, all the wonderful people I met on the convoy will never stop until the Palestinians are free. We will never forget them. Thesis is in process right now :)

Friday, May 18, 2012

The Syria leg - day 1

Again sorry this has taken me so long to update. I'm still unwell but not as bad as before but I know how important it is to keep people up-to-date on what's going on so I know I have a lot to catch up on so trying my best.

Going through customs in Turkey was a challenge in itself and due to lots of paperwork we ended up having lil picnics outside (or inside for us) in the vans although it was scorching hot. Thank goodness for shade in the building (trying to pinch the wifi) or a lil picnic table under the trees. I honestly can't remember how long we were there for but it was pretty long. It was interesting though to watch normal cars with families going through the border both coming into Turkey and into Syria. Seemed like a normal border crossing to me.

When we finally got given the go ahead to continue our journey we were all ecstatic and going into Syria with Kevin greeting us with some members of the Palestinian National Council was a fab feeling. Because of the delay we had to quickly go to Latakia to meet the crowds waiting for us there but we couldn't stay which was a shame as previous convoyers would have loved to go back to the camp where they stayed at in 2010.

So off we quickly went to Latakia as daylight was slowly fading. By the time we got there though, since we are at the back and had catch up to do, our end of the convoy wasn't there for long which was such a shame as the crowd was huge! Sucks how none of the cams we have are good for night time pictures. We did have a few teenagers come by the van to say hi and welcome and take pictures. Plus we had this lovely chicken shop which I'm so upset I didn't get the name of but they gave us these huge portions of chicken (think it could have been half a chicken) with chips (oh so nice) and bread and yoghurt. One portion could feed both of us! Was funny though as due to time, we were always in our van and I had to literally pass food to Faisal as we hardly had the time to eat so it was eat and drive after waving goodbye to the crowds. Such a shame I couldn't even get out of the van to really talk to them like the group ahead. Nvm.

So off we went trying to drive to Damascus as soon as we could in the dark. By then I really didn't feel well but was trying my best to stay awake. However, due to it being I think almost midnight and being a very long day the decision was made to stay in Tartus for the night. Good decision as we just passed out as soon as we hit the pillow. Plus 6am wake up call yikes! Tartus looked wonderful though! Shops and restaurants were bustling with people even though it was late at night. Reminded me a bit of the south of Lebanon when I went to see my friend. Real seaside place. Shame we were too tired to take a stroll. Never mind

Jem

No comments:

Post a Comment