Brief detail of my story

Recently went on the land convoy for Gaza from London last mid-April. Thank you to all that helped me to go on this dream of mine, whether it was financial support or emotional support. And a huge thank you to one of my best friends who agreed to come on this trip with me & I couldn't have done it without him. Even though we sadly were not able to enter Gaza due to Egypt stopping us and wanting us to hand our aid and vehicles to Israel, all the wonderful people I met on the convoy will never stop until the Palestinians are free. We will never forget them. Thesis is in process right now :)

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Sometimes it can take just one person to build the momentum

After a slight delay leaving Austria yesterday as sometimes things go missing on the convoy (nothing and no one is perfect hey) we had a passenger in our vehicle who needed a lift to our next destination, Budapest. Her name was Sophie and she was from Germany. I wasn't feeling too well yesterday (if the instructions on a meds box says to have with a meal, follow them) so my stomach was just in agony as think it kicked in my gastric but I tried to be a good host as much as I could and wanted to promote the convoy and tell her more about Gaza etc. Very sweet girl and I'm glad she was asking so many questions as you rarely find the youth interested in this (I would know after facing ignorant ex-classmates just last week) and I'm glad we were able to get her safely to Budapest. Sophie if you are reading this, it was a real pleasure meeting you!!

Like I said in my title, sometimes it can take just one person to start the awareness campaign to take off and more people knowing about the Palestinian cause. You never know :)

We were able to drive through Budapest last night and we all did very well as no one got lost yey!! But wow, the city was breath-taking and I had one hand trying to video tape the drive plus keep an eye on the traffic so we wouldn't get lost. Was so beautiful!

Arrived at our usual base point, a petrol station but this one has free wifi AND you don't have to pay to go to the toilet wahey!! One setback is there are no showers but oh well, jasmine scented wet wipes it is.

Since it was still early, some of us popped out to the city again just so we could take nicer pics. Beautiful really. Then found a nice place to have dinner which is run by a guy from Egypt so I told him bout the convoy and he clapped his hands saying good and we got free tea :D food was fab too! I realised I hadn't had rice for ages. Aahh good ol rice.

So after a very nice night, went back to base to have a good rest although last night was the 1st night I didn't sleep too well and woke up so hot and claustrophobic so tried to open the door and leave it open so I wudnt wake Faisal then tried to sleep with my legs out of the van sitting up. Didn't really work.

Finally gave up and by that time Faisal was awake so just did the usual morning ritual, freshen up, breakfast and been trying to take it easy today as the road ahead is gonna get tough. We did try to fix the aircon but couldn't get it to work so we will try get it fixed in Turkey.

Its been getting rather hot and even tho I live in KL, I feel like I'm getting heat stroke. Such a weakling :p

Btw Tina if you're reading this, we made use of your cooker twice today :D thanks again!!

Wokays gotta go as we will be off to our next destination soon so will try rest before we head off.

7 countries in 7 days. Can you imagine.
Jem

No comments:

Post a Comment